Friday, October 1, 2010

Blog 2 ;) Happiness in Education

 When people think of education their first thought isn’t always pleasant. People usually think of school and education as a requirement that isn’t fun but you have to get through it to become happy. Why do people automatically hate school and think of it as a dreadful place, full of unhappy people and subjects? This is one of several questions being asked in the article “Happiness in Education” by Mark Van Doren and also being touched on in the Film “ Do Schools kill Creativity” By. Ken Robinson. These sources that I have come across has made me think of my experiences during my educational career and has made me want to change for the better.

Mark Van Doren little brother loves psychology, he spends his time reading, writing and discussing the subject and studies the subject in Harvard. But when we was younger, as a student he disliked the subject. This type of feeling is very common in students because their  mind is program to think that school is boring and your free time is fun. I personally found this article interesting because its something I can agree with. Every since I can remember I always been very interested in drawing and fashion. But because of my family and the school system always making it seem like the arts wasn’t important, I didn’t take the effort to considered making a career in that field till this day. I feel that the school system didn’t teach this because people wouldn’t normally pick this as a career and I shouldn’t either. I feel so mentally dramatize by that educational system and till this day I feel subconscious about the field I want to take on. Which leads me to a brilliant film called “Do Schools kill Creativity” by. Ken Robinson, which speaks about his theories on Happiness and School.

When I saw Ken Robinson’s film on education I thought to myself this is something I can honestly see myself passing forward to many people so they can see the reality of the school system and how people think. When I saw this film I couldn’t help myself but to think of all the experience I’ve been through with the school system. In the film, Ken Robinson spoke about how our educational system is built out of a form of hierarchy which are Mathematics and Language on top Humanities in the middle and Arts at the bottom. By this system we are program to think that the Arts are automatically not as important as the other subjects Math and English. From young we are trained to think that taking a risk is a bad thing. “If your not prepared to be wrong your not prepared to be original” a quote from Ken Robinson which mean if your not prepared to take risk and be wrong then your not being yourself. From this film I have learned that I am I very creativity person if I set my mind to it. Also I am a visional learner meaning that I register things in my mind better if I see the movement in front of me.
   
I’ve learn from this film and article that I have to embrace my inner child in the senses that I have to take chances and be more open to being wrong because by making risks it makes me more original. I’ve also started taking an art class to get in touch with my artistic side again and also I started to wake up thinking more positive about going to class. I feel that I have been feeling much happier. I have started to not think of school of an obligation and more as a privilege and it has been working somewhat, I see myself much happier when I walk the halls to my class day by day. And in time I see myself become very successful because I have a better understanding in how to approach my challenges and know to not be afraid of being wrong because in life you have to take risks as said in Ken Robinson film.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Gissell,

    I liked your second blog. You gave a lot of in site about your self. I can relate to you because I too am a visual type of person. When I see things in front of me I learn better. You incorporated some good points about some of the topics on Sir Robinson in the blog I felt. I feel you can expand more on topics by the article entitled: Happiness In Education, and check your grammar. Good job and thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gissell !

    I loved reading your blog! It drew me right in as soon as I started reading it. You put the information from the article Happiness in Education and the Ken Robinson video so well into your blog. You have minor grammar and spelling problems but I suggest just proof reading over your essay, just to make sure everything is correct. I really enjoyed reading your blog because I can relate to when you thought you shouldn't do fashion and drawing. I felt the same way about my passions when I was growing up. I think you did a good job =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a good job with your essay. I liked the introduction and how you Quoted from the article and the video. Your structures were good, but i see a few grammar. Try proof reading, it really helps. Trust me i have been practicing it alot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post was well thought out. Great work in citing your quotes. You started and ended the essay well. Each part of your essay flowed into the next. Although, I did pick up on some spelling. I also noted that there were words that you did not add an "ed" for text you phrase to be in the past tense. Otherwise, great work. I hope you achieve your goals in the arts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gissell!

    This was very enjoyable to read - I'm glad you are both embracing your creativity and trying to think in a positive way about education.

    Work on thesis development and clarity!

    ReplyDelete